Monday, April 14, 2008

The Power of a Beating Heart

We had my first doctor's appointment today, and the most exciting part was that we heard the heartbeat! Dean took the day off so he was there too. It was a truly magical and awe-inspiring moment. It really seemed to make the whole pregnancy seem more real. There's no possible question: there's a baby in there, and it's alive, and it's heart is already beating. It's not just an abstract concept that's making me tired and hungry, it's a real person. Wow.

Dean brought the camera along to the doctor's appointment, which I had been pretty indifferent about before. I mean, why would we need it? But it also has a video function, so thanks to Dean's foresight, we were able to get a video of the heartbeat for your viewing pleasure. You can hear it clearly starting about 5 seconds in. Be sure to have your volume turned up!

The rest of the appointment was discussing family medical history, the dos and don'ts of food, exercise, drugs, etc, some tests, and an exam. Apparently I have good hips. And it's nice to know that I can take Tylenol. I've got another appointment set up for four weeks out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is the coolest! Good thinking, Dean! To think that when Sue and I were expecting they didn't even give us the ultra-sound pictures. They've come a long way, grandbaby!
Love, Mom/Grandma ~ aka Cyndy