Thursday, December 22, 2011

Getting very close to Christmas!

Dean's already teaching Liam to drive

Itty bitty feet



Robin hijacked the camera again, while I was making play dough.  See Science Fiction Mommy for his shots.

Helping to unpack decorations

Listening to the bear recite "Twas the Night Before Christmas"

Reading to Liam

Robin joins us as Liam eats the book

Liam playing with (or at least eating) the bear my aunt made for him

Robin wanted to wash his plate after dinner.  I'm certainly not going to say no to that!

Look at that smile!

Robin decorating the tree

Robin wanted to wipe the table off after helping me bake cookies

The world's shortest man (this shirt makes him look so old)
My little cowboy with his Grammy

Liam's sleeping all cuddled up with his monkey blanket!

Decorating cookies with Ama and Poppa (and Mama and Dada too!)

I also made a gingerbread house for him to decorate

Yum yum!!

Liam sitting in Robin's tunnel

Liam reaching for the Christmas tree

On Tuesday we went out looking at Christmas lights.  I always love the way the area around our library is decorated.

Liam, once again, didn't know what to make of it all

And then he slept through much of it

There's a crazy house near where we used to live, and it was our final destination.  They're on a corner lot, and are completely filled with decorations

We found out this will the their final year though.  At least Robin got to see it once.

Robin pushing the button that lit up Rudolph's nose

Liam got a big kick out of the fridge magnets when I put him close enough to reach them

It snowed today.  A lot.  I would guess it was close to 10 inches (I never actually measured.)  I had planned to take the boys to storytime in the morning and even after I saw the snow I decided to give it a try for two reasons:  1) our books were due and 2) I actually saw a snowplow drive down our street.  Normally we don't get a plow unless there's still snow on the street two weeks after the storm.  I was amazed, and thought perhaps that meant I'd have a chance to get through.
This is how far I got.
Oh well, books can be renewed.  Our videos already have been, though, so I've only got three days to get them back before the grace period is over.

Robin wanted to help

...and play!

He also thought it would be a good idea to mow the snow

And carry it around

He actually did a great job.  The day itself wasn't too cold, and so long as we were moving we didn't feel chilled.  He didn't whine or request to go inside during the entire time it took me to shovel the driveway, get the car back inside (with the help of a neighbor,) shovel the sidewalk, and make a path to the front door.  Then when I was done, he even wanted to stay out and play a little more.

I'm tired, by the way.

I made the first snow angel I've made in years.

Robin made one too

We had a good day!

Liam ought to start crawling pretty soon.  I've caught him on his hands and knees a few times, although it's usually when he was sleeping with his knees under him--he'll wake up and push up on his arms, then look around wondering what to do next.  I'm looking forward to not having him be dependent on me for movement, but on the other hand.....
...............AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!  How will we keep Robin's toys out of his way?  I'm not even talking about sharing, just the toys that aren't safe for an infant???  Plus, that'll mark the end of easy, constant snuggles.  I've been snuggling him extra lately, to cherish the moments when he has no means of escape.  He's going to get big soon.

Liam has also started babbling.  One of the first things he babbled:  Mama!  (Dean's jealous, even though I've reminded him that Liam (most likely) doesn't know what he's saying yet.)  He's also learned that higher volumes mean he'll get more attention, and can really kick his screams up a notch.  Sometimes he has Robin covering his ears.

Speaking of Robin, the holidays are driving him just the tiniest bit nuts.  It mainly manifests itself at bedtime, and he's been resisting a lot more lately.  He's also been having some difficulties with what he is and is not allowed to touch/play with among the decorations--but really, he's doing quite well on the whole.  He's getting excited for the big day, and I'm looking forward to seeing him enjoy the festivities.  He's been "playing" presents a lot, mostly filling up empty gift bags or boxes with his toys, giving them to us, and telling us to unwrap our presents.  I think I'm going to have him play Santa on Christmas day and distribute most of the presents--the ones that aren't too heavy or breakable, at any rate.

Robin has started saying "That's not fair."  I think he picked it up from Frosty The Snowman (the inept magician says it when Santa says he won't bring any more presents if the magician steals the hat,) although he turned to me when we were watching Rudolph and said it, when the other reindeer were teasing Rudolph (good boy!)  He also has said it when I've told him it's time to clean up his toys. Ai yai yai.  His language skills continue to grow in other ways too, and we have more detailed conversations now.  Yippee!

Robin is also very competitive these days.  The best way for me to get him to clean up, or to cooperate in many other ways, is to race him in some way:  who can pick up the most blocks, who can put the cars away the fastest, who can get to the bathroom first?  So long as he doesn't start using the same methods to stall (which sometimes happens) we get things done pretty quickly and happily this way.

Wow, this is a long post.  See you on the other side of the holiday!

No comments: